This is a cheap and cheerful activity, and more so pretty easy to make and most kids are fascinated (some can be grossed out by it all)! The textures, colours and mess develops creativity, fine motor skills and an opportunity for imaginative play (with the added use of utensils). I’ve also tried this with kids from 1 years old to 3 and all enjoyed it but in different ways.
What you need:
- Food colouring – Liquid is better but gel will do.
- Cutlery/large tray
The simple method:
- Boil Spaghetti (for the amount pictured I used a whole pack!) – then cool under cold water, and drain
- Divide the spaghetti into separate tubs, one tub for each colour you’ll be using.
- Add a couple of drops of oil to the spaghetti and mix.
- Drizzle the food colouring over the spaghetti and mix quickly (it’s much better with your hands, or you can close the container and shake), if you’re using gel food colouring mix it with a tiny bit of oil.
- Let it sit for about a hour.
- Put the spaghetti together into a tray, and then it’s ready to play with!
The spaghetti can be stored for up to a week in an airtight container and in the fridge! You could also add little toys under the spaghetti and tell the kids to hunt for them!